Saturday, December 6, 2008

More Baking - Pumpkin Tea Bread




I treated myself to a new bread making book. Bread making was something I was very *scared* of but now that I have to get gluten free products it is something I have enjoyed. I heard over and over from my gluten free friends that this was the one to buy.


I decided yesterday to make some pumpkin bread. I looked through the book and decided to try the Pumpkin Tea Bread. This was WONDERFUL!

It made two loaves. I made one (left) without raisins and the other with. Make sure that if you add raisins you soak them in hot water until soft or they will pull the moisture out of your bread.




PUMPKIN TEA BREAD

Four Flour Bean Mixture 2 Cups
Xanthan Gum 1/2 tsp (rounded)
Baking Powder 3 teaspoons
Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
Pumpkin Pie Spice 2 teaspoons
Dried Orange Peel 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Butter 1 stick
Cream Cheese 3 ounces
Cane Sugar 1 Cup
Brown Sugar 1/2 Cup
Eggs 2
Pumpkin (canned) 1 Cup
Orange Juice 1/2 Cup (scant)
Chopped Pecans (optional) 3/4 Cup

Preheat oven to 375. Grease two loaf pans and line the bottom of each with a piece of parchment paper. Grease the paper and dust with rice flour.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthun gum, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of your mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, and both sugars until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the pumkin and orange juice. Mix well. With a spoon stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed and then fold in the nuts.

Spoon the batter into prepared pans and bake about 1 hour (mine needed 45 mins) or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool the loaves in pans for 10 mins before removing. Allow to cool completely before cutting.



Four flour Bean Mix (makes 9 cups - I cut in 1/2 and put the rest in a baggie in the freezer)
2 cups garfava bean flour
1 cup sorghum flour
3 cups cornstarch
3 cups tapioca flour

No comments: