Sunday, May 3, 2009

Let Them Eat Gluten Free Lemon Cake



My daughter told me that she wants a lemon cake for her birthday. Since we are hot on the heels of her June birthday I decided to try my hand at it. It turned out well. I need to make it in a smaller pan but otherwise the taste and texture was good. I played with the flavors to make it a very lemon cake. It turned out more like a snack cake because my pan was too big. But that's OK. It needs some frosting now but it is still warm. The kids had a piece of warm cake.


Gluten Free Lemon Cake

3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbs Hot Water

Blend together until smooth.

In a separate bowl combine:
1/2 Cup Sweet Rice Flour
1 1/2 Cups White Rice Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Xanthan Gum


Add the following to the butter mixture:
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Lemon Extract (I used Penzey brand)
1 tsp Lemon Powder (again Penzey's)
1 Tbs Lemon Juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 11 x 7" baking pan with cooking spray. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until center is firm.


Printer Friendly Version

1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

It looks delish! I can only imagine how good it was warm. :-)

Shirley