A friend of mine asked me to make a gluten free banana cake for her twins birthday on Saturday. They know that one of their boys already has issues with wheat. When she asked I agreed to try but told her that I had not made a banana cake that was gluten free yet. So I started looking for a recipe that would work. I did a test run on Tuesday and it turned out great. Today was the day for the actual cake. I had a mishap with the size of the cake and ended up cutting off the end and made them into two small cakes for the boys to destroy. I even made the icing from scratch with Wilton's Butter Cream recipe. I highly recommend this recipe.
Gluten Free Best Banana Cake
1 1/2 Cups Bananas, Mashed, Ripe
2 tsp Lemon Juice
3 Cups Gluten Free Cake Flour Mix
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 Cup butter, softened
2 Cups Sugar (I reduced it to 1 1/2 cups)
3 large eggs
2 tsp GF Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk (I used 1 1/2 cups raw milk w/ 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar)
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees (yes that's correct)
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with lemon juice and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour batter into a prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 60 - 75 mins or until toothpick is clean.
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 mins. This will make the cake very moist.
11. For the frosting I used a vanilla butter cream recipe (Wilton)
Gluten Free Cake Flour Mix
3 Cups Brown Rice Flour
1 Cup Potato Starch (not potato flour)
1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour
1 1/2 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
Sift ingredients together, combining thoroughly. Use in place of flour in cakes and other baked goods. Store in a ziplock bag or airtight container.
Here are the little cakes that are for the boys. Cute huh?
Here is a picture of the cake I made on Tuesday for my trial run. Nice and moist. Hubby says it is moist, good flavor and texture. He joked that I have him evaluating food now. He has to test every new gluten free creation I make ...... poor guy.
Happy Birthday Owen & Ben. I hope your first birthday is great.