Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gluten-Free / Dairy Free Cinnamon Muffins


I decided that I wanted to make cinnamon muffins today. My children love the taste of cinnamon so I figured it would be a winner. I scoured the net for a gluten free recipe and I found one. So I gathered all the ingredients, mixed it up and put it in the muffin pan. When the oven heated I popped it in. But...... 15 mins later I smelled something burning. It was the dough oozing over the sides. It had not risen at all and was one big blob of goo. So after it baked I took it out and cleaned up the pan. I decided to try again. I figured I could come up with something better on my own.

And I did!!! This is absolutely fabulous. The texture from the flour mixture is so close to gluten that no one would be able to tell. There is no funny taste either. (Hint: click on the mixture names in the recipe to be taken to the recipes for them)

I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine did. My daughter asked for me to put it in her lunch. Yes that is coming again......




Gluten Free / Dairy Free Cinnamon Muffins



Makes 12 muffins

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together and set aside for use in the topping and cake.

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup gluten free flour mixture
1/3 cup spectrum shortening, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until a clumpy mixture forms. Set aside.

MUFFIN


1 Cup Better Batter Mix
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Flour Mix
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 free range eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup rice milk (or other non dairy milk)
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a standing mixer, place all the muffin ingredients into the bowl and mix for 2 - 3 minutes on medium speed.

3. Pour batter into greased muffin pan. Sprinkle the streusel topping onto batter.

4. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes before serving.


Printer Friendly Version



2 comments:

Unknown said...

these look and sound delicious! I just printed the recipe!

stephaniebnd said...

They taste just like a cinnamon roll. They just need the frosting glaze.