Saturday, October 18, 2008

Almond Meal Banana Cake

This is a great recipe taken from Elana's Pantry. I love her recipes because it uses no grains. The almond meal (yes I know it says flour but I use meal) offers more nutrients than your typical breads. Plus it is gluten free! I modified the oil used to Virgin Coconut Oil.



Banana Cake



3 cups blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup agave nectar
¼ cup grapeseed oil ( I use Virgin Coconut Oil from Omega Nutrition)
3 eggs, whisked
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 bananas (about one cup) mashed

In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, salt and baking soda
In a smaller bowl, combine agave, grapeseed oil, eggs and vanilla, then stir in bananas
Mix wet ingredients into dry
Place batter in either a cake pan or two small (7×4 inch) loaf pans
Bake at 350° for 40 minutes
Remove from oven and allow to cool
Serves 12







Cream Cheese Frosting

¾ heavy cream
1 cup cream cheese
¼ cup agave nectar (I used Xylitol)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Whip heavy cream until stiff

In a separate larger bowl, whip cream cheese until smooth, then blend in agave and vanilla
With a rubber spatula, gently blend whip cream into cream cheese mixture

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So quick and easy!!! I am baking the mixture as we speak, except I separated it into 12 cupcake cases and baking them at a shorter time. I'm so glad I found this recipe, as I had been contemplating creating an almond meal and banana cake recipe for quite some time, but was worried it would end in disaster! Will let you know how the cupcakes turn out.

Scientology Mommy said...

This is a great recipe. I've been making it in a bread loaf pan and adding walnuts for a great banana nut bread. Tahnks so much!