Saturday, September 19, 2009

Struggling with Lunches and other Meals

I thought I would share some tips for those of you struggling with gluten free lunches for your children as well as family meals. I am by no means an expert but have learned a few tricks and found some good tools.



Lunchbox "helpers"

These are called Bento Boxes. You can find them on the Laptop Lunches website. The set on the left is the newest version called Bento 2.0. The contained box on the right is the original version. We have been using the original for the last 3 years. I just love them because you do not need all those ziploc baggies. I forgot to also show that you get real silverware with the box (fork & spoon) as well. We are blessed that my children eat in their classrooms so the risk of throwing items away is reduced. This snap together container fits inside most zip around lunchboxes. I also forgot to picture the little dipping cup that is shown with the other set.











The Bento 2.0 just arrived at our home last week so I have not had time to use it but I am eager to get started as there were many times I wanted lids on all my containers as well as a bigger sandwich container. If you would like to look at some ideas from other moms that use these bento boxes here is a great resource. Flickr Laptop Lunches


Next, I bought thermos after thermos and tried to get one that would keep my children's food warm and was stainless steel. I tried the thermos brand with the cute images on the sides and they were pathetically lacking. They work great for the cold items - we use them for drinks but keeping things hot for 6 hours (the time we needed) did not work. I threw away more food because it was cold. I finally found Thermos' Elements series in the camping section and they keep things hot for 7 hours. This opened up a world of more food options to send with them. They were $20 each at Target. This container was used for a year and has been toted back and forth on the bus in a backpack. It held up well and is still going strong.



Here is a sample meal plan for my week. We are a busy family - running children all over so I try to keep things simple. I do have to bake my own breads and hamburger rolls which you can find in this blog. Hopefully this helps you on your journey.


Meal Planning September 20 - 29, 2009

To your health.....

Stephanie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post! I love your blog..thanks for all the gluten free tips!!! Enjoy your weekend.

tiffrutherf said...

I am S-T-R-U-G-G-LIN' with lunches!! I am running out of ideas!!! HELP!! Please keep the ideas and post comin'...

stephaniebnd said...

Check out the ideas here on Lori Bakes http://www.loribakes.com/links.htm She runs her own bakery too. There are some great ideas there. I have her Lori Bakes for Kids cookbook and it is good. I need to get organized and make up a meal plan again.